"Po" and "Opo"

Thursday, November 15, 2007 |

This is the most treasure Filipino values that we have. Do you teach your kids to say "po" and "opo"? Or these all forgotten?

As kids growing up here in United States and even some abroad they never taught saying "po" or "opo".It's never really emphasized.I am aware they not been introduced to this very polite way of treating the elders. They never even call their older brother as "Kuya" or older sister as "Ate", they called by their first name and this is not good to hear that one of Filipino values is fading. I think that we're trying to adopt what culture of what place where living or to be too Westernize.

Me as a parent, i always thought them to say it, even somtetimes they forgot and answer a "yes". Like my older daugther, she's now going at preschool and of course they are speaking english but it doesnt mean you have to stop teaching them saying the "po" and "opo". It's like reflecting what a good parent you are. I do feel that Filipino kids ought to be taught by their parents this form of respect.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isa sa pinagmamalaking kaugalian ng Pinoy ang paggamit ng "po at opo". I'm glad that your passing it to your kid. Mabuhay ka!

Unknown said...

pssssst.. salamat sis sa pag add and register ha.. di na ako maka send ng msg thru myblog..

Anonymous said...

Its nice to see you want to keep your tradition in abroad, by the way what is the meaning of "Po" and "opo". My son is just two and half year old, am waiting eager for the day when he will talk to me or call my name. I would keep these things in my mind that he should speak up with true caltural values. Nice post. love to your two little princess.

Cynthia said...

Very interesting blog you have. I am a non-Filipina Lola (my son is married to a Filipina). My little two-year old Granddaughter is Ate Apple to her little baby sister. So cute. I am happy that my daughter-in-law is teaching her cultural courtesies.